Head of Engineering
- Contract type:Permanent
- Salary/Rate:£110,000 - £120,000 per year
- Duration:Full time
- Start Date:ASAP
Do you love AI, how about working and owning an exciting AI Product at scale platform?If this appeals to you as your next challenge please read on.
Our client is an innovative Creative Intelligence Platform that uses artificial intelligence to help companies better understand their audiences and show them what content the audiences want them to make, before they have to make it. We’re backed by some of the biggest and best investors in the world (500 Startups, Telefonica etc.) and fundamentally changing the way marketing and creative decisions are made, for the better.
They prefer to call it a cultural intelligence platform. We apply science to culture using AI-driven analysis of thousands of millions of digital content engagements, grouping mass audiences into meaningful cultural networks, which we call communities, linked by shared leaders, interests, and identity.
The company works with leading brands within Unilever, L’Oreal, Mars Wrigley and more to unlock, track and grow their own bespoke communities – giving them the cultural edge to create and activate emotionally-resonant content that supercharges growth.
These insights can be plugged across the marketing workflow, to inform brand strategy, content creation, and media activation; connecting global teams and agencies to put cultural
intelligence at the heart of brand-building.
Reporting directly to the CEO and working with our Client Services and Commercial teams you are responsible for defining and delivering the technology strategy at the heart of our
The Technical Team is responsible for researching and building sophisticated back-end data pipelines that make use of AI and Big Data, as well as internal tooling and a UI
that makes the resulting data available for our clients.
Whilst the ability to define and communicate a technology strategy and roadmap are essential skills for the role, so is the ability to architect and code the systems and features on
that roadmap. We are looking for a hands-on Engineering Lead who is able to build the roadmap, the products and the team as we scale up.
In terms of technologies, our codebase is currently primarily built in Scala on the back-end and TypeScript on the front-end, with some Python involved. We make heavy use of
Kubernetes and Google Cloud Platform services such as BigQuery.
● Define the technology strategy and roadmap to support the company on its transition from a print to a digital company
● Communicate and get buy in for the technology strategy at all levels of the company from Exec down
● Embed the strategy across the diverse channels and teams ensuring that those teams are aligned and moving in the same direction
● Work with the existing engineering teams to define the architecture and select the tools to deliver the strategy and roadmap
● Lead the coding effort, mentor the other engineers, ensure that engineering and agile best practices are followed including the automation of build, test, deploy,
operate, and incremental delivery of value to customers
● Lead and support the hiring of engineers to increase our capacity
● Work with our near-shore partner to make sure they are following best practice and that we have the right resources to deliver our initiatives
● Track deliverables, identify and solve bottlenecks, keep the technology initiatives
● Define the key engineering metrics to help improve our release frequency, quality and operational stability
● Help to create a culture that people want to work in, empower people, have empathy, listen, be someone who we want to work with, be collaborative and kind.
Skills and Experience Required
● Have led a technical team and have a strong track record of technical project delivery
● Have strong experience in application development using statically typed programming languages (preferably on the JVM)
● Have a good understanding of both functional and object-oriented programming principles and experience working with functional code
● Have strong Cloud and devops knowledge, ideally including experience with Kubernetes
● Experience working with big data
● Have a good understanding of data science principles and processes
● Have good experience running agile processes such as standups and retrospective
● Experience driving quality using tools such as TDD